Reed Exhibitions is a leading global events business. It combines face-to-face with data and digital tools to help customers learn about markets, source products and complete transactions at over 500 events in almost 30 countries across 43 industry sectors, attracting more than 7 million participants. Our events, organised by 35 global offices, leverage industry expertise, large data sets and technology to enable our customers to generate billions of dollars of revenues for the economic development of local markets and national economies around the world. Reed Exhibitions is part of RELX, a global provider of information and analytics for professional and business customers across industries. www.reedexhibitions.com
RELX is a global provider of information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and business customers. RELX serves customers in more than 180 countries and has offices in about 40 countries. It employs over 33,000 people, of whom almost half are in North America.
Job Purpose: The Head of Infrastructure and End User Computing Architecture will support the business by providing architectural leadership, guidance and hands-on design provision to meet business needs across the global business. This will be either through direct architectural ownership or by influencing and guiding regional IT teams as appropriate.
Scope:Responsibility for the architecture and standards of enterprise infrastructure, end user computing and cloud services across the RX organisation.
Reports to: IT Operations Director Based in Richmond, Greater London, UK
The Head of Infrastructure and End User Computing Architecture will:
- Understand the long term commercial and technical objectives of the organisation and interpret business requirements into technical solutions with consideration of all available options.
- Manage a team of architects providing Leadership, Development and direction.
- Drive high quality cost effective solution designs (with full cost breakdowns) to meet the business requirements that adhere to the underlying defined architectural principles and standards and that accommodate a level of performance and flexibility which is suitable to meet the business’ needs.
- Participate in the identification and definition of initiatives and solutions to deliver the business strategy and significantly contribute to the development of the strategic roadmap for delivery, understanding and communicating where RX can benefit from selective service provision
- Develop a set of underlying principles and standards which govern the future design and deployment of infrastructure solutions for the global business.
- Contribute to ensuring full alignment between all architectural teams in the RX organisation, and as part of this group provide high level technical expertise as required.
- Research emerging technologies and increase team awareness (by organising and facilitating technical workshops as required) and drive innovation as required to increase availability, performance, capacity, security, R&D, stability and to maximise cost savings and efficiencies
- Create presentations / solution briefs and articulate proposals to executives, key stakeholders and technical colleagues.
- Articulate complex solutions to various clients, senior stakeholders and technical teams. It is therefore a must that the Infrastructure Architect has excellent communication skills as you will be interacting with the business on a daily basis.
- Effective collaboration with other teams to guide and influence team members and business colleagues
- Working in conjunction with vendors as necessary in supporting all services
- Support the design, maintenance and enhancement of support procedures and operating policies where relevant
- Any other BAU duties that the company could reasonably expect to be completed in the scope of IT operations
Skills & Experience
A strong technical background with professional qualifications and significant industry experience in the following:
- Expert Microsoft knowledge/qualifications (MS 365 etc)
- Expert Clouds Services Knowledge (AWS, Azure, OCI)
- Chef / Puppet skills
- Windows Server/Desktop platforms and technologies
- VMWare and Virtualisation technologies
- Significant experience of infrastructure technologies in medium / large scale Enterprise environments
- Proven experience designing and developing highly available systems and platforms that meet business needs
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide variety enterprise solutions, standards and protocols
- Expert knowledge of standard and emerging enterprise technologies
- Knowledge of industry services and technologies
- Knowledge of industry standard architectural principles, e.g. TOGAF, Zachman or Equivalent Qualification would be beneficial