Reed Exhibitions is a leading global events business. It combines face-to-face with data and digital tools to help customers learn about markets, source products and complete transactions at over 500 events in almost 30 countries across 43 industry sectors, attracting more than 7 million participants. Our events, organised by 35 global offices, leverage industry expertise, large data sets and technology to enable our customers to generate billions of dollars of revenues for the economic development of local markets and national economies around the world. Reed Exhibitions is part of RELX, a global provider of information and analytics for professional and business customers across industries. www.reedexhibitions.com
RELX is a global provider of information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and business customers. RELX serves customers in more than 180 countries and has offices in about 40 countries. It employs over 33,000 people, of whom almost half are in North America.
- Do you love consulting but want to be closer to seeing the impact of your work?
- Do you want to remain in a consulting role but have a better work / life balance?
- Do you plan to work in a large global business but aren’t sure what type of role you would want, or aren’t quite ready to leave a consulting role?
If you said yes to any of these questions you should consider this opportunity!
Sales effectiveness, and specifically the use of analytics to drive and measure improvement, is a key strategic priority for our new CEO and essential for our success after Covid-19. As such a new Sales Analytics team (one manager and two analysts) is being created.
We are looking for an experienced consultant with considerable experience in sales and sales compensation analytics to establish and lead the Sales Analytics team for Reed Exhibitions. The manager will use their advanced consulting skills and leadership presence to run consulting projects across our global portfolio and build organisational capacity in sales analytics. Once sales analytics is established there may be the opportunity and need to work on other strategic topics.
The Team: The new Group Sales Analytics team will function as a specialist function dedicated to improving sales analytics practice and use across Reed Exhibitions. It will work with senior business leadership to develop sales strategies based on strong analytics and tested best practice.
- The team will first focus on working with each country business unit to develop new sales compensation plans aligned with enterprise wide best practice and their local context.
- Subsequently the team will develop methods for adding analytical rigor to other areas such as target setting and developing new segment-based renewal strategies.
This role and the team will report into the Reed Exhibitions Group Strategy Director and is part of the Group Commercial function. The group commercial function is a close-knit, high performing team that pushes the agenda for the business forward and works on the difficult questions and biggest opportunities. We place high importance on the professional growth of our team members, and intend this new team to move on and up within Reed Exhibitions and RELX.
The role will require occasional travel (approx.1 week in 6) to our various global offices for project meetings and workshops.
The Manager will lead the team to:
1. Design and manage sales analytics consulting projects that deliver transformational impact:
- Defining the project’s objectives, deliverables, scope, approach and timeline
- Developing an analytical problem solving approach to deliver insights that inform recommendations
- Leading interactive workshops to generate hypotheses
- Designing market research surveys to capture insights from customers
- Collaborating with business leaders to develop actionable recommendations
- Preparing persuasive & compelling presentations to clearly communicate the case for change
- Readying the business to implement and measure project recommendations
- Following up and reviewing the impact of the recommendations
- Using projects to demonstrate and spread best practice and develop new methods
2. Define, document, communicate and ensure adoption of sales analytics and sales compensation best practices:
- Build effective relationships with stakeholders e.g. business and sales leadership, business unit practitioners and the RELX Strategic Analytics Team
- Support, animate and lead an expert community for sales analytics
- Develop and execute workshops, webinars, presentations and training sessions
- Provide informal, ad-hoc advice to colleagues
- Support the specification and recruitment of local specialists / practitioners
3. Develop systems and processes for measuring sales analytics and compensation adoption and impact
- Identify and drive improved data capture to support deeper analytics within the business
4. Lead innovation in sales analytics
- Develop experiments and tests with measurable results
- Seek out local innovation and then nurture and communicate
- Gather intelligence on sales analytics / compensation from the broader events industry and outside
Skills & Experience
1. Strategic Consulting Skills
- Applies superior analytical (quantitative and qualitative) and structured problem solving skills to gather internal and external data to quickly understand a business problem
- Uses strong business judgment and strategic mindset to bring new thinking and change to organizations
- Has a great sense for how to present data and information visually to make the message compelling and memorable
- Bridges the gap between the big picture and the operational details
- Contributes to developing a culture of analytical inquisitiveness and rigorous and creative hypothesis-driven problem solving
- Comfortable with the detail required for successful project and change management
- Uses strong leadership presence to inspire confidence in stakeholders and project participants
- Interacts easily and presents compellingly and convincingly to senior executives
- Laser-focused on creating lasting impact for Reed Exhibitions
Qualifications and Experiences:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. Business, Finance, Economics, Science, Mathematics, Engineering etc.) required.
- 5+ years (or 2+ post-MBA) experience in a management consulting (internal strategy role could be considered but consulting experience preferred)
- Experience with sales, sales compensation plans and customer incentives (discounting, trials, etc.)
- Analytically inquisitive: always exploring data further, never satisfied you’ve found all the insight
- Impact orientated: on the business performance not just specific deliverables
- Detail orientated: when working with raw data, presentation materials and implementation
- Positive, enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Persuasive, collaborative and trust-worthy
- Ability to:
- work well with virtual teams, building new relationships quickly and often
- present complex data and concepts concisely and reflecting audience needs
- effectively work and lead projects in multi-cultural, multi-national environments
- provide coaching to colleagues
- continuously learn, welcome constructive feedback, find opportunities to develop new skills