Reed Exhibitions is the world’s leading organiser of trade and consumer exhibitions with over 460 events in 34 countries, bringing together over 6 million active participants worldwide. The company employs 2,400 employees in 37 offices around the globe. We are in the business of building businesses.
Reed Exhibitions Australia runs up to 20 events each year, covering a wide variety of industry segments such as Retail, Mining, Energy, Waste, Hair, and Medical from a B2B perspective and PAX for our Consumer events.
Scope of Position
The Exhibition Director has the responsibility for the overall strategic management, direction and development of the portfolio. Leading and directing the show team to deliver on the show strategy and key projects and initiatives.
The show teams are made up of employees from within our centralised functional teams, including Sales, Marketing, Conference Production and Event Production. The team is also ably supported by our enabling functions, including Operations, Finance and HR.
One of the core areas of focus for our portfolio is the ability to achieve growth, which can be achieved through expansion of the event portfolio, the acquisition or launch of new events or the addition of new show sectors/features. The Exhibitions Director role plays an important part in seeking and actioning new areas of growth.
A primary component of this role encompasses engaging directly with Customers (both Exhibitors and Visitors), understanding their current needs and anticipating their future needs in support of the growth of their business and the industry overall. From this knowledge obtained from the customer you will be able to set your event strategy to deliver the future growth for RXA as well as growing our customer satisfaction.
In order to deliver on your overall event strategy, you will rely on your strong influencing skills to bring together the show team from within the matrix organisation structure and leverage their skills and talents to deliver superior events for our customers.
From a Sales perspective this role will work closely to support the Group Sales Manager in managing key accounts and driving strategic partner relationships. For Marketing, supporting the Marketing Manager in driving new visitor initiatives and channels, working closely with the Event and Conference Producers to determine the features and content that will make the events a must attend experience and keeping abreast of the health and direction of the industry to determine where the opportunities exist.
The Exhibition Director is also responsible for delivering the portfolio’s budget, overseeing the sales process, driving event revenues by effectively managing costs and liaising with the show teams and internal/external suppliers and partners to deliver the highest quality events.
- Ensure the strategies of the company and our shows are led by deep understandings of our customer’s current and future needs which include both the face to face and digital environments.
- Ensure the implementation of plans, budgets, sales and profitability targets, which are directed to the attainment of the agreed strategic objectives. Implement these plans in such a way that the objectives of growth, turnover and profitability are met
- Achieve agreed performance with regard to overall revenues, profits, margins, customer satisfaction, employee engagement and market share and to help implement strategic plans for profitable growth of the portfolio in the short, medium and longer term.
- Liaise closely with senior stakeholders and the show team on the overall management, direction and development of the portfolio, as well as guiding the team on key issues and projects.
- Work closely with the sales team to ensure all targets and KPI’s are met. Ensure there is a motivated and effective team, through leadership, influencing and coaching.
- Meeting with current and new prospective customers in key industry segments, understanding their needs and using insights to inform the event strategy.
- Oversee business development by identifying opportunities for new products and extensions of the portfolio. Represent RXA in negotiations, and liaise with appropriate organisations or individuals to gain support for the development of existing and new products.
- Develop, maintain and leverage strategic partner relationships with other commercial entities, not for profits, associations and government bodies for mutual benefit.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Experience in developing budgets, managing full P&L and reporting on performance including reforecasting
- Strong capability in the creation and execution of strategic plans with high level of commercial awareness.
- Experience of managing and/or influencing high performing teams within a matrix structure
- Marketing/ brand management experience along with project management skills.
- Customer relationship oriented
- Exhibitions / Events / Education experience or relevant industry knowledge is desirable