Reed Exhibitions is a leading global events business. It combines face-to-face with data and digital tools to help customers learn about markets, source products and complete transactions at over 500 events in almost 30 countries across 43 industry sectors, attracting more than 7 million participants. Our events, organised by 35 global offices, leverage industry expertise, large data sets and technology to enable our customers to generate billions of dollars of revenues for the economic development of local markets and national economies around the world. Reed Exhibitions is part of RELX, a global provider of information and analytics for professional and business customers across industries. www.reedexhibitions.com
RELX is a global provider of information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and business customers. RELX serves customers in more than 180 countries and has offices in about 40 countries. It employs over 33,000 people, of whom almost half are in North America.
There is an exciting and challenging opportunity to join the dynamic Infosecurity portfolio team. We are looking to recruit an experienced, highly motivated and enthusiastic Deputy Editor to work on Infosecurity Magazine.
Job Purpose: To support the Editor on the production of Infosecurity Magazine, the population and development of infosecurity-magazine.com, and associated products including e-newsletters, webinars, and virtual conferences. In addition, the Deputy Editor will be responsible for generating and editing content such as news articles and blogs for Infosecurity through industry knowledge, contacts and by attending industry events and press conferences.
The Deputy Editor will also be charged with promoting Infosecurity within the information security industry and contribute to new product development by analysing portfolio opportunities, and proposing potential areas of growth.
Activities and Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Editor, determine the editorial coverage and direction of Infosecurity in line with commercial objectives, market requirements, and the information needs of readers
- Writing news and feature copy for online and print publication
- Assist the Editor with commissioning, editing and supervising the layout of Infosecurity print magazine to schedule and required quality
- Be responsible for the content and aware of the legal and financial consequences of the published content
- Edit and publish daily news stories written by Infosecurity news writers
- Develop industry knowledge, network and profile within the information security industry by attending events (often international), press conferences, and vendor meetings
- Represent Infosecurity and Reed Exhibitions in a highly professional manner at events and client meetings to raise product and company profile
- Interview researchers and board level executives from top multi-national companies for editorial features and market research
- Take editorial ownership of the weekly e-newsletter
- Manage the blog and op-ed sections of the website, including solicitation, commissioning, and editing
- Moderate webinars and virtual conference sessions in association with Infosecurity clients
- Work with the Editor to implement strategy to deliver profit and growth
- Implement new working practices as required
- Develop and maintain key working relationships with the sales and marketing departments
- Undertake continuous review of product, including gathering market research feedback, to ensure products are meeting their market needs
New Product Development
- Investigate, propose, develop and launch new products in print and electronic formats to penetrate or develop new market opportunities in order to increase volume, revenue and profit
- Keep up-to-date with the latest developments in electronic publishing, research and recommend areas for new product launches
Ideal Candidate Profile/Key Competencies:
- Good general knowledge and technical skills
- Knowledge of production processes
- Journalism skills
- Writing and interviewing skills
- News researching, writing and editing ability
- Copy editing and proof read accurately
- Organisation, planning and prioritisation of one’s own work
- Presentation skills, i.e. webinar moderation
- Prepared to travel abroad to attend various events
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software
- Understanding of the commercial and business strategy of an advertising-driven media market.
- Ideally a knowledge of information security industry, but not essential
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team; ability to work unsupervised, be self-motivated; ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Positive, pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Approachable and friendly
- Flexible, analytical
- Ability to prioritise
Required Education and Experience:
- University degree in English, Media, or a Journalism related discipline.
- Experience of working in an editorial role is a necessity